Thursday, July 31, 2008

My 3 year old

Today was an interesting day to say the least. Why is it that things happen all at once? We had a nice calm morning and were anticipating the arrival of Leah from camp. She called to tell me that the van had a flat tire and that they would be later coming in then originally planned. A little later my dad called on the phone. Mind you I haven't talked to my dad in months so it was an unusual call. As I was talking to my dad the phone kept ringing and it was Leah. I didn't want to get off talking to my dad so I let her ring on. Then Mike called. So I told my dad to hold on and I talked to Mike. He said Leah was at church and waiting to be picked up. Ok so I get off the phone with my dad when Paige comes rushing into the house, Luke is playing with bug spray in the garage. What?? So I go running out there and sure enough he has the home defense bug spray and has been playing with the sprayer and sprayed the whole garage, even over his head. I freak out. Start asking him did you touch the sprayer to your mouth? Did you get it on your hands. I couldn't think on my toes quickly enough for what I should do and of course don't have poison controls number on the top of my brain. I called 911. Asked to speak to poison control and they connected me to them quickly. They want to know my name. Did I call them directly or through 911. How did I hear about them. I don't care!!!! Help me with my kid!!!! So we get through the initial questioning and you can hear the 911 operator in the back. So she hangs up when she finds out its not life threatening. So I had to explain to the lady what was going on all along Leah is trying to call me at the same time. I couldn't answer her call. The lady tells me to strip him of his clothing and to get him some fresh air immediately. Then she tells me to wash him off. She also tells me to watch for an fluids leaving the body ie, vomiting or diarrhea and to throw away anything he had on that was leather because that would absorb the bug spray. So we go running to the bathtub and I made him jump in while I tossing him at the same time. I start running water and pouring it on him. It was freezing cold at first and he didn't like that to much. So I'm washing him and Leah calls. She is furious at this point because now she is the last kid there to be picked up. I yelled in the phone that sorry but I couldn't leave home at this point yet. She starts balling on the phone. I told her that I would be there in just a few minutes and to calm down. She hangs up on me. Then Paige calls Mike who is out fishing. He is freaked out. I tried calling Leah back and she is walking through the door now. Julie had brought her home. Ok so calm down now. A little time goes by and Luke is playing and running around like nothing happened. Ok so he's good for now. He comes into the kitchen, I'm hungry mom. Good, great sign. The poison control lady calls me back an hour later to check on him. I told her that he was playing with his cars and wanted to eat so life was good. Amen!! Thank you Jesus for watching over my little guy when I wasn't!! So hopefully there shouldn't be any bugs walking around in the garage tonight.
So some time goes back and later in the evening a storm starts to come through town with lots of lightening. The electricity goes out and the kids freak out again. I got them calmed down and Luke told me to turn the lights back on. Well son that is difficult right now. Why mom? Well it just is. He goes over and pulls a chair up to the light switch in the kitchen and tries to turn it on and off. It doesn't work mom. I know son. Fix it. Ok son. Mike and Luke go off to play cars in his room while the girls and I play operation game in the kitchen because he wanted to be in the middle of the game. He told daddy to turn the lights on but of course they would not. He told daddy that he could fix it and told him to hold on. He went and found a light bulb and brought it to Mike. He was going to solve the problem. So dinner was at Carreras tonight!
Right before bedtime he is watching spiderman on tv. He comes over to me and wants to play like he is spiderman. Ok, we had fun for a few minutes. He went and got his spiderman socks and put them on. So then it was bedtime. After tucking him in I went to take my shower. When I was getting out he came barging through the door and said mom, I'm spiderman as serious as serious could be. I said ok son, I know. He went to bed.
So what a day today has been. It's going to be never ending. My dad told me that I will miss these days. He said he misses Matt and I being little. I'm sure I will.

No comments: