Next the girls and I went to two of my old student's wedding. It was so sweet. The bride and groom met in my classroom. Robin was a freshman I think and Brian was either a junior or senior...I can't remember. At first Robin wouldn't talk to Brian. He was a red-headed punk kid that liked to be the class clown. She was real quiet and shy. Everytime he would talk to her she would roll her eyes and ignore him. A couple of months after school started I noticed one day they were holding hands. Ought-oh I thought...time to seperate them. And I did. After they would finish their work they would move over and sit by each other again. And if they had a fight it totally changed the dynamics of the classroom. I cried through the ceremony. I cried through most of the reception. It was just so touching to see the two of them so happy and knowing their history just made it even more sweeter.
Robin's dad passed away some time ago. She had thought her dad had abandoned her when she was little. Years had gone by and she tried to search for him. She found him. He hadn't left her, he had passed away. She found this out her senior year of high school. Three months before her wedding she found her other siblings from her father and just met them for the first time in her life. Her new found brother walked her down the aisle in place of her dad. See why I was crying.
Then at the reception she told everyone how I was her favorite teacher and how she had met Brian in my classroom. I of course told the whole story of how they met and then I cried again. Other people started crying too. I was moved, it touched my life. Before that Brian danced with his mom to the song "A Simple Man"....I cried. Robin danced with her mom....I cried. Then she danced with her brother....I cried. Then he danced with the other sister and I watched her as she cried.
Robin cried when I hugged her after the wedding ceremony was over and someone asked her why she was crying and she said because I was her idol and how much she loved me. So to Robin, you have touched my life more than you will ever know. I don't let many students get close to my heart as I have allowed you to. YOU mean the world to me. I am so proud of you as well as Brian. I know you will go far in life.

(Robin and Brian Campbell. Check out Paige's glasses....look like big bug eyes to me!)
To end the day off we went to one of Paige's close friends birthday swim party. I got to hang out with some of my favorite friends and just relax. It was a perfect ending to the day. Luke got out of the pool at one time towards the end of the evening and came up to me. He said "Momma". I said what son. He said "I love you mommy the bears" (he calls me mommybear). My friends said "Ahhhh". What a special little boy he is.
At one of the parties I shared with someone about our day and all of the activities. They said "wow, you must be popular". What? Popular....isn't that a term for high school? Ummm, NO, I think not! I have a 4 year old that goes to daycare....friends. I have a 12 and 8 year olds who go to school....friends. We go to church....lots of friends. I work a full time job.....friends and lots of contacts. So no, we are not "popular". We are involved and love all of the special people in our lives.
No comments:
Post a Comment