I got home last night from my teachers conference and I told the girls we would go shopping for school clothes when I got home. I meant some time after I got home but they just knew I meant the day I got home.
So we went out to shop for some new school clothes this afternoon. After Mike looked at our checking account I could only spend a little bit until he has his next closing. Ugh. So ready for closings to start coming in on a regular basis. So I gave the girls $100 a piece to buy clothes with. I told them that was all they got and when it was gone it was gone. They will get to have more once the closing is done because originally we had the yard sale and Mike's mom sent the girls money too. So that would allow them $200 a piece. They were good sports about it though and understood. I didn't say they liked the idea mind you.
We started by stopping at a friends yard sale and Leah found the cutest bag to use as her book bag for only $1. Yes one dollar! Great deal! Way to start off our school clothes shopping! Mom has already taken them to get school supplies so our mission today was clothes, socks, undies, shoes, etc. NOT bags, purses or jewelry! But for a dollar she couldn't pass it up. I reminded them what our mission was for the day. We had Avery with us so I called Stephanie (Avery's mom) and asked her if she wanted to go shopping too. So we kidnapped her for the day as well. Shopping is more fun with friends anyway!
Our first stop was a late lunch at Steak and Shake. This was a new place for me and it was good. I didn't realize it was a sit down and order kind of place. Interesting. Order hamburgers and a shake at your table with a waiter. Our waiter needed a little more training on how to be a waiter. Next stop Target. I had seen in the Sunday sales ad they had plain t-shirts and Polo's on sale so we made this our first stop for our mission. Paige made it out of there spending $60 of her money. 6 shirts, pair of shoes, undies, a package of gum and a Sunkist. Leah made it out of there with $50 left. New shoes, three shirts and I think that was all....oh a drink from the snack bar. I would have bought the girls the drinks but they didn't ask. Older girls stuff tends to cost more than little girls stuff.
Next place on our agenda, Bath and Body Works to return something. Old Navy was next door so two stops in one. Paige hit the jack pot on pants there. A skirt and 2 pairs of jean Capri's and another a pair of navy Capri's...oh and another pair of shoes! She is my shoe lover and Leah is my purse lover. Leah made it out of there with 2 more shirts. Paige had like $9 left leaving there and Leah had $40 left.
Our next store was Kohl's. I had told Paige she had done really well with her money so she could pick something out that she wanted. Want to know what that child bought? A package of socks! I was so proud of her. Now they are funky fun knee high socks but hey they are socks. Leah tried on a dozen pair of jeans until we found the right ones. She only was able to buy two pairs and went into debt at this store. She now will only be receiving $80 for her next shopping spree.
At every store we went to people were so impressed that my children were paying for their own stuff and with cash. What do people not pay with cash anymore? I laughed at Stephanie at Old Navy because the young lady asked her if she would like to apply for the Old Navy card and earn blue points....or something like this...and Stephanie blurted out no thanks, credit is evil. I busted out laughing. What? I though it was funny because for us they are! The look on that girls face was priceless. She didn't know what to say. And she looked as if she couldn't imagine her life without credit cards. I wanted to ask her if she was on her own yet but didn't. I figure she will find out one day that credit cards are evil! She was like you earn points and Stephanie said yes but you have to pay all the interest with it too, No thanks.
Two check out folks told me they wished their parents had made them learn about money at a young age too so they could know how to work with money now. I was very impressed with how our girls spent their money today. Stephanie gave Avery the same amount of money and Avery had to figure out what to spend her money on as well. I almost forgot to mention the melt downs we had over all of this in the store. Paige had one in Target, Leah had one there to and one at Old Navy. Seems its not so fun when mom isn't footing the bill and they have no clue what they are spending. It's hard to figure out what you can buy with a certain amount of money and what you have to put back because you don't have enough. But when we got home they couldn't wait to show daddy what all they bought and how they spent their money.
Paige had bought a pair of converse tennis shoes at Target and after going to Old Navy she found another pair of pink tennis shoes with white polka dots. She fell in love with them. She asked if she could exchange the other pair for the newer ones she found. I said ok. She was so excited. She borrowed ten dollars from Leah and we went back into the store to buy them. Once back at Target she walked right up to the customer service desk and told the lady she wanted a refund. Then she went to the shoes and picked out another pair of zebra striped flat shoes for $12 and purchased those. She handed Leah back the ten dollars and she was so proud of herself because now instead of only one pair of shoes she had two! She is quite the bargain shopper.
Our last two stops for the night were PetSmart and Dollar Tree. It was so funny in PetSmart. We had to get crickets for the lizards and while the lady was counting them out one jumped out of the bag and landed on Avery's shoe. That girl jumped out of that shoe faster than lightening and ran down the aisle screaming like a little bitty girl! It was hilarious. Another priceless look on a face today. I laughed and laughed. And our last bargain for the night was 5 for 5 Arby's sandwiches on the way home. What a bargain shopping day we had today! Next shopping outing will be for tennis shoes for p.e. and athletics. I figure that trip will take a big chunk of the girl's money.
No comments:
Post a Comment