Saturday, August 1, 2009

Yard Sale....Or Maybe Just A JUNK Yard!

After talking to Mike Thursday morning about our checking account we decided at the last minute to have a yard sale. Did you know checking accounts can talk to you? Well ours did and said it was very, very grim! I have had three boxes in the garage collecting junk in them for the last six months or so. Amazing how much junk you can collect in just six short months. Back in January I hauled off tons of junk to the Salvation Army here in town and cleaned out the garage. I had just planned on donating again when the pile got big. Well it was big and I hadn't donate stuff yet. Thank goodness because we needed it.

The girls and I spent all evening Thursday going through the closets and cleaning stuff out. Mike went through the garage and took stuff out he didn't want anymore. I cleaned Paige's bedroom last week and re-arranged it while she was at camp and had tons and tons of stuff from her room also and from Leah's room since we re-did her room also.

I was up until about 2 am pricing stuff and getting everything ready. Around 8ish we started throwing it in the front yard. I don't like to have one in the back anymore. Just too personal back there and I don't like having people we don't know in our back yard checking everything out. Around 9ish I went and put signs up in town and we were flooded with people all day long. The girls loved seeing that they could earn money for selling their stuff and Luke just loved being outside all day. He was in hog heaven out there. I looked over one time and he was laying in all of the toys just lounging and playing. He was having a great time. I think he could just live life right there and be perfectly fine. He kept going around yelling "gard" sale come in.

Finally around 2:30 it slowed down and we decided to call it a day. I went into the living room after it was all done and fell on the floor under the ceiling fan to cool off and fell asleep for a little bit. Mike and the kids woke me up to go swimming at mom's and let me tell you that was the best swim all summer!

Saturday morning started bright and early. I went to put our signs back up and the city enforcer stopped me. He said I had to have "written" permission to hang up my signs. Well I knew the people who yard I was putting it in but it didn't matter, I didn't have "written" permission and they weren't home. He took the one I had in front of the laundry mat. Now anyone that knows me knows that I am pretty much a rule follower for the most part...I said for the most part :) On the form I signed with the city while getting my permit states that you have to have permission. It does NOT state that you have to have written permission. When I went back home I put one on our corner and the enforcer guy just sat there and watched me the whole time. I told Mike what was going on and he was furious. Next thing I know he is leaving and going to track him down. He almost got arrested. Imagine that, my husband almost getting arrested!

Afterwards I thought I will show this man. I went and bought some fancy signs from Ace Hardware and took one to a business on Washington street. I asked the lady if it was ok and asked for her "written" permission. I wrote it out on the back of my yard sale stickers page and she signed it. Next I went to try to find someone else's yard I could put my sign in. Mike called and said come home it was fixing to start raining. Ugh. I get home and it starts sprinkling. Before I know it, the flood gates opened and it started pouring. We hurried up and packed everything up but it was pretty much wet by this point. We all looked like wet puppy dogs when we were finished.

Ahh, now its over and I have a cleaned out garage again, a clean front yard and a destroyed house that looks like a bomb went off in here. In the process of pulling stuff out, not everything got put back up in its place and now I get to work on that next. Its just a never ending process around here. We did make a little bit of money off of all of that junk. Enough to buy school supplies and maybe some tennis shoes for each girl to start school with. Thank goodness grand parents can help out because we would be in a world of hurt.

No comments: